Postby Steve H » Fri Jan 29, 2016

Haggin Oaks Outing & Skins
Friday April 8th - 12:00 Noon
Haggin Oaks GC
1932 - Alister MacKenzie
Sacramento

John, Stacy & Steve - 2016 Season opener - Haggin Oaks, Sacramento

April 8th, 2016 - Sacramento
The NorCal Hickory group headed inland to our state's capital to kickoff the 2016 season. The 1932 Alister MacKenzie designed course at Haggin Oaks Golf complex was a great fit for our 100 year old technology. This is a huge golf complex with all sorts of facilities and functions happening everywhere around you, but the management does a superb job keeping everything organized with their professionalism and courtesy. The course was in great shape and felt very secluded once we got out there. All had great things to say of our visit and hope the venue becomes a tradition on our calendar.

We had a blowout in our skins game with Erik Beer cashing in on nearly half the pot (7 of 16 skins). With a few net eagles and even a net "hole-in-one", this was a tuff group.

-- SKIN WINNERS --
$50 Gross (8 skins @ $6 each)
$50 Net (8 skins @ $6 each)

#1 par5) Erik Beer - Gross 5
#2 par4) Steve Henneuse - Gross 3 - Net 2
#4 par5) Erik Beer - Gross 4 - Net 3
#6 par3) Stacy Brown - Gross 2 - Net 1
#7 par4) Chuck McCollum - Net 3
#9 par4) Erik Beer - Gross 4 - Net 3
#10 par4) Steve Henneuse - Gross 3
#11 par5) Erik Beer - Gross 4 - Net 3
#12 par3) Steve Henneuse - Gross 2
#16 par3) Stacy Brown - Net 2
#17 par5) Dana Niehaus - Net 4

Here's a photo album of the event and a place to add any pictures:
2016 Haggin Oaks photo gallery

IMG 367 IMG 368 IMG 369
IMG 370 IMG 371 IMG 372
IMG 373 IMG 374 IMG 376

roydjt

Re: 2016 Sacramento Outing & Skins - Haggin Oaks

Postby roydjt » Sat Jan 30, 2016

notes:
The NorCal Hickory group would like to invite you to a day of hickory golf at the 1932 Alister MacKenzie designed Haggin Oaks GC in Sacramento. This will be an informal outing with optional skins game.

The course is very interested in hosting an annual event with us and this would make for a good test run and opportunity to introduce our group to the course, local playing members, and staff. Will try to get a flyer up at the course to advertise the outing as we have about a half dozen sets of loaner clubs we can supply for the curious.

Chuck McCollum is our resident player for Haggin Oaks and would be best person to answer any questions regarding the course, suggestions and inside on local surroundings.

The course has quite a history as quoted from their website:
www.hagginoaks.com/about/history wrote:.
75 Years Of Storied History – The Haggin Oaks Golf Complex Story

If the century-old heritage oaks at The Haggin Oaks Golf Complex could talk, they’d tell remarkable tales of players who have become household names in the golf world and once teed it up at this Alister MacKenzie masterpiece – names like Sam Snead, Jimmy Demaret, Toney Penna, Walter Hagen, Al Geiberger, & George Archer.

Haggin Oaks is the track where the legendary Ben Hogan won his first professional check–$350.00 for third place– in the 1938 Sacramento Open. Gene Sarazen, The Squire himself played here in the 1935 Sacramento Open, finishing eighth and taking home $72.00 for his efforts. Since 1932, Haggin Oaks has played host to dozens of PGA professionals. Players like Bill Glasson, Natalie Gulbis, Annika Sorenstram, Jim Dent, Johnny Miller and Bob Murphy have contributed to the storied history here. Ken Venturi won the 1950 California State Fair Championship here before going on to win 14 times on the PGA tour and moving on to the broadcast booth. Even the great Byron Nelson participated in the Sacramento Open at Haggin Oaks...

Hello, I've been waiting for one of these outings to come out my way, and here it is! I'm certainly interested in playing, and I might be able to get a few others interested. However, none of us have hickory clubs. Can we rent/borrow a set? I suppose my alternative would be to scour thrift/antique stores, craigslist, ebay, etc. Please let me know if I need to start looking now!

Thank you,
-Roy

ebeer

Postby ebeer » Sat Jan 30, 2016

Hey all. I'm finally back to golfing after a hand surgery and long recovery. Not 100% but good enough to swing the sticks. Looks forward to this event, put me down on your list.

Roy, I have a loaner set I can bring for you. Also have clubs to sell. If you're in an around the Bay area (I'm in Concord) I can meet you somewhere for some practice rounds if you like. ebeer72atyahoo.com.

roydjt

Postby roydjt » Sat Jan 30, 2016

ebeer, thank you for your gracious offer! I'm in the Sacramento area, but I can probably get out your way for a round between now and April. FYI, I'm a decent stick who doesn't take huge divots, so I'll be light on the clubs. I'll have to hit up my old pal Jeremy Moe for some tips. I used to work with him in San Diego. I hear he's pretty good at this hickory golf thing :-).

Is there a listing of rules for these events? Are there specific balls that are used in tournament play?

Thanks again!
-Roy

Steve H

Postby Steve H » Sat Jan 30, 2016

Hi Erik. Glad to hear your thumb has healed. Must be nice to have it back. :)

Thanks for checking in on the website now and then and keeping members informed. After the move to a new host and crash, things slowed down around here until we could dig up old backed up content. We simplified the site and lumped a few thing together and hopefully things are on a more stable path now. Look forward to seeing you in the early spring.

Heya Roy,
We have a half dozen extra loaner sets that we can bring to the course that day and possibly get to you early (late March). We don't have a sanctioned ball (soft compression balls do work best tho and there is a thread here on the site by Erik describing some of the differences that you can reference). We're pretty relaxed with the rules, but we do keep score, play for keeps, and have winners in our tournaments. The Sacramento outing is more of a casual day with a skins game... meaning there is no 18 hole medal winner, but the ball does have to go in the hole to count for a skin. Should be a lot of fun and looking forward to playing Haggin Oaks for the first time.

Hopefully the event is a hit with the course and we can coordinate an actual tournament for the coming years. The month of April would seem prime for an event in Sacramento. The hickory calendar has a nice opening this time of year as well.

I'll be out of town, and away from "civilization" for several weeks so you'll have to get in touch with others about the event till then. Look forward to meeting you in Sac town and thnx for getting in touch with us. :)

ebeer

Postby ebeer » Sat Jan 30, 2016

Roy: Mare Island is between us (albeit a bit closer to me 8-)). It's a really fun hickory course...a tale of 2 nines. The front has holes from the original 1892 course and plays old school with short tight fairways and small greens. The back was built in the 1980's and is more California golf with few trees, wildland rough, and large greens. It's hilly but walkable, and plays very well with hickory. Holler if you want to meet up, I'll bring some demo sticks.

Winslow

Postby Winslow » Mon Feb 08, 2016

Hi all. I'm new to the group and hickory play. I am going to try to make it out to this event. I have clubs and live in Sacramento. I'm a bit of a hacker, but love to play. I am in the market for a bag for my clubs if anyone has one. They don't look right sitting in my modern bag. Look forward to meeting you all.

Randy

roydjt

Postby roydjt » Sat Feb 13, 2016

Guys, thank you for the great responses! I've been playing golf for more than half my life now. I've been as low as a 2 handicap, but I'm more like a 6-8 right now, so I know how to hit a ball. I'm a little intrigued in the experience in going from 460cc drivers, cavity back irons, and modern shafts to clubs with no "game improvement" features whatsoever. I'll have to learn how to "strike" the ball all over again! I'm tempted to hit up the thrift store and get some old blades and woods just to get used to a small sweet spot again.

Steve, please let me know if you can get those loaner clubs up my way as you mentioned. ebeer, if I get a chance to get away for a day I'll let you know. I'm eager to get a few swings in with century-old style equipment!

ebeer

Postby ebeer » Mon Feb 15, 2016

roydjt wrote:I'm a little intrigued in the experience in going from 460cc drivers, cavity back irons, and modern shafts to clubs with no "game improvement" features whatsoever.

Old irons without perimeter weighting or cavity backs, with sharp leading edges and thin soles will prove to be a much less forgiving experience than most are accustomed to. That said, the feedback IMO is more pronounced. Not only do you know right away that something went wrong, it's also a bit easier to diagnose (toe, heel, timing, etc). The best part however is the positive feedback. When you strike it pure with one of these beauties the feeling is positively electric. Again IMO opinion, it's far more fun and rewarding than today's equipment.

Hickory sets are built piece by piece, club by club. Shafts come from different trees, over different eras, with different stiffness, flex points, and individual characteristics. The hardest part at first is learning to deal not only with flex, but also with the shaft's tendency to torque. To combat these forces, hickory needs a smooth, controlled swing under balance. Attempts to manipulate your shot through modern swing mechanisms (strong hip drive, "cock and fire", fast hands through bottom, etc) generally result in less than desirable results. This is why I love hickory, it teaches balance, control, smooth movements, and above all humility.

After some time tuning my swing (and my brain) things really started to click. Once I gained some confidence my biggest light bulb moment was when I convinced myself that hickories are just golf clubs. Once I banished thoughts of "100 year old golf club", "hand turned shaft", and "buffalo grips" my focus moved away from the club. At 150yds with a mashie in hand, my thoughts are how to play the shot....for example 150yds is on the short end of my mashie range. For this I have 2 options choke down a bit with shortened backswing or open the face a bit and play a high fade. I make my choice, then focus on a smooth balanced delivery. To me, I'm no longer making a swing with a 100yr old golf club....it's just a golf club.

pg.hickory.man

Postby pg.hickory.man » Thu Mar 10, 2016

I am planning to play in this event, so please count me in......

Return to “NorCal Hickory Events”