2016 Apple City Hickory Open

NorCal bulletin of events
Steve H

Postby Steve H » Thu Apr 07, 2016

2016 Apple City Hickory Open Winners (L to R)
John Sweeney 3rd - Dana Niehaus Champion - Steve Viskochil 2nd.

Saturday May 14th,
Every now and then a golfer breaks free and puts together that inspiring round that everyone looks at in awe. Our 2016 Apple City Champion and low gross winner, Dana Niehaus, shredded the course and competition with a 9 under par 63 that was darn impressive! Great playing to a well deserved champion.

Our 2nd place winner was new-to-hickory-player Steve Viskochil, shooting even par 72 after stumbling out of the blocks with an 8 on the first hole! :o Nice Brassie by the way!

Last year's Champion and Apple City poster boy, John "the foozler" Sweeney, nipped out a few close pursuers for 3rd place, with a fine 1 over par 73.

Glenn Lynch, Brian Stipanovich, and Ron Taylor were our Scramble winners, firing a smooth even par 72 gross (Combined 41 with 8 blind bogey holes). They are looking forward to next year's event and playing solo! :) They'll be tough.

Our 2 closest to the pin winners:
Brian Stipanovich #9 - 5' 6"
Tim England #13 - 20' 7"

We had a few first time hickory players that picked up loaner clubs that morning and did extremely well on a very unforgiving golf course; some playing the course for the first time... Wow!

The usual hole-by-hole electronic scorecards uploaded to our results page here:
Results 2016 Apple City Hickory Open

$200 gift certificate/prize breakdown:
$60 1st - $40 2nd - $25 3rd.
$15 x 3 - Winning Scramble team.
$15 x 2 - Closest to flag

As always a big thanks to Amy, Jacques and the Spring Hills staff for doing all that they do and for allowing us to host the post round celebration in the pergola patio.

A big thanks to Michael Scott and wife Lorri for supplying the generous case of Jacques' fabulous wine. It was fantastic!

If you have any pictures to upload (I unfortunately took none), there is a gallery dedicated to the event here:
2016 Apple City Hickory Open photo gallery

IMG 389 IMG 390

See you next year!

Steve H

Re: 2016 Apple City Hickory Open - May 14th

Postby Steve H » Thu Apr 07, 2016

notes:
The 2016 Apple City Hickory Open is being contested on a single afternoon organized by our group rather than the two day event ran by the course as it has been in the past. This opens up new opportunities and we're excited to move forward with the tournament.

We will have a post-tournament lunch party on the patio along with a little of Jacques' own Valley Vista Wine grown and bottled just above the course.

A separate "just for fun" scramble division has been added to the event for those that would rather whack their way around the course with the support of teammates. You can sign up for the scramble division as a group or individual. We will find you a team.

The Apple City Hickory Open is a fun, courteous, and friendly ran event you won't want to miss. Hope you can attend and look forward to seeing you here.

questions/more info:
831-247-3447

1911 Victorian ranch-style clubhouse overlooks 18th green.

What it's all about:
The Apple City Hickory Open is very much a family run local event. We the norcalhickory group have a special relationship with the course, owners, staff, and members. This is our backyard. While the course may be a bit demanding for hickory in certain aspects, Spring Hills always delivers that home-built-family-run experience. Hickory golf couldn't have been much different for the rural golfer of the era. This is just a fun place to play!

John "the foozler" chugs from the 2015 Champion Crystal.

Last year, a perpetual plaque, the John Sweeney award, was created by the group as a tribute to John's long time association with the Apple City tournament. Not shockingly, John "the foozler" was our eventual winner, winning his own trophy! These sorts of things just seem to be par for the course at Spring Hills. It would take a lot to top the dramatic finish of 2015, but it wouldn't be surprising for something special to happen again in 2016.

This year, the Apple City Hickory is being played as a separate and one day only event. There will be no "modern" players competing in the same tournament at Spring Hills. The event won't be as large as it has been in past years with the absence of the tournament proper, but does offer a chance for outside players to take part in this annual event.

With the addition of our separate "just for fun" scramble division, we're excited to see some of our friends give hickory a try. Sign up as a team of 4, and we'll provide a set of clubs and a dozen appropriate soft compression balls... hopefully 12 golf balls will be sufficient!

Here's a flyer that can be downloaded:
Extended details:
2016_AppleCity.jpg
2016 Apple City Hickory Open flyer
2016_AppleCity.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 1464 times

pg.hickory.man

Postby pg.hickory.man » Sun May 08, 2016

Steve:

I just left a message for Bobby at Spring Hills, indicating my intention to enter the Apple City Hickory Open on May 14. I left him my number to confirm. Didn't think I should just talk to the starter who was probably busy with today's play. Anyway, now I'm notifying you. Please include me into the field. Thanks.

Steve H

Postby Steve H » Mon May 09, 2016

Bobby or any of Spring Hill's staff was the right guy to talk to. There's a sign up sheet there and I'm sure he added you. I haven't been out to Spring Hills in awhile, but am heading there tomorrow to pick up the final head count/sign up sheet. I believe we had nearly 6 groups last time I checked in. See you Saturday.

Update Monday, May 9th
Here are the tentative pairings and tee times for Apple City - Sat May 14th. I tried to pair those that will be riding in carts together.

Give me a call if you have any questions
Extended details:
11:07 - Scramble Team #1
Glenn Lynch
Ron Taylor
Brian Stipanovich
- Open -

11:15 - Scramble Team #2
Susan Schlick
Jim Thompson
Steve Youngdale
- Open -

11:23
Michael Scott
Steve Viskochil
Bill Jordan
Daughter Jordan

11:31
Erik Beer
John Sweeney
Stacy Brown
- Open -

11:39
Tim England
Tim Bell
Henry Kolte
- Open -

11:47
Willy Schlick
Kris Surano
Dana Niehaus
Steve Henneuse

phone: 831-247-3447

Steve H

Postby Steve H » Mon May 16, 2016

Updated 1st post with a recap of scores and uploaded the scorecards to our electronic database. Will try to post an extended write up soon. Don't be shy to contribute anything you'd like to report as well.

If you have any pictures to upload (I unfortunately took none), there is a gallery dedicated to the event here:
2016 Apple City Hickory Open photo gallery

The usual hole-by-hole electronic scorecards uploaded to our results page here:
2016 Apple City Hickory Open Results

Stacy B

Postby Stacy B » Wed May 18, 2016

I had tons of fun playing in this year's event (although my 103!! gross might not imply that). Always enjoy playing with "the Foozler" and Mr. Beer. Thanks Michael for the wine (though my head says f-u for the next day headache :) )

Also it was awesome that some of the wives made the trip. Great to see Lorri and Sylvia. And we'll have a constant reminder for the next few months trying to polish off the GINORMOUS bag of tortilla chips that Michael left behind and Steve snagged :lol:

Return to “NorCal Hickory Events”