2016 Olde Time Days - Pacific Grove

Postby Steve H » Mon Apr 11, 2016

2016 Olde Time Days - Pacific Grove Golf Links
Best Ball Blind Draw
Pacific Grove Golf Links
1932 - H. Chandler Egan - Front 9
1960 - Jack Neville - Back 9
5571 yards Par 70 - White Tees

Thnx passerby Sean for emailing us this fun pic!

June 4th, 2016
Golf at Pacific Grove, especially the back nine, needs wind for a true links test. "Nae wind, Nae Golf!" We got WIND! :)

This year's format was Best Ball Blind Draw with random pairings matching cards and recording their best net score per hole. The winning team of Steve Viskochil and Steve Henneuse just edged out the field with a 7 under par 63. A three-way tie for runner up went to a card off with John Sweeney and Dana Niehaus capturing 2nd place.

Stacy Brown was our low individual and only player to break par this blustery day with a fantastic 65.

individual hole-by-hole electronic scorecards here:
2016 Olde Time Days results

A big thanks to Tim, Stacy and Michael for handling all the pairings, scoring, scoreboard, and presentation of awards. Orion made sure we were error-free with our skins game results.

The strong winds made for an exciting skins game with a handful of winners; Stacy taking home 4 juicy bacon slabs.

-- SKIN WINNERS --
Gross - 7 skins @ $8 each
Net - 9 skins @ $8 each

#1 par3) Stacy Brown - Gross 2 - Net 1
#2 par3) Michael Scott - Net 2
#4 par4) Stacy Brown - Net 3
#7 par4) Steve Henneuse - Gross 3
#7 par4) Stacy Brown - Net 2
#8 par4) Erik Beer - Gross 4 - Net 3
#9 par3) Dana Niehaus - Gross 3
#10 par3) Steve Youngdale - Net 2
#11 par4) Dana Niehaus - Net 3
#12 par5) Steve Henneuse - Gross 3 - Net 2
#13 par4) Orion Galioni - Gross 4
#14 par4) Steve Viskochil - Net 3
#17 par3) Erik Beer - Gross 2

Thanks to the Pacific Grove staff for another great day of golf.
Was a fun day on the WINDY links! :)
We'll do it again next year.

Steve H

Re: 2016 Olde Time Days - PGrove - June 4th

Postby Steve H » Mon Apr 11, 2016

notes:
Pacific Grove Golf Links
1932 - H. Chandler Egan - Front 9
1960 - Jack Neville - Back 9
5571 yards Par 70 - White Tees

Cost = $54
payable to course.
carts $10 additional fee.

2015 - John, Stacy, Jacques, and Paul putting out on the 13th

Come join us for a fun day of golf at the scenic Pacific Grove golf links in Monterey on Saturday, June 4th. We're trying something a little different with the creation of a 2 person blind draw best ball event that will be a lot of fun.

How format works:
At round's conclusion, randomly drawn partners combine scorecards using their best net score per hole. As an example, say I score a net 6 on the number one handicap hole, but my partner scores a net 4. Our best score for that hole as a team is 4.

You have no idea who your partner is until after round has completed. Maybe your partner will save a hole when you've gotten into trouble or perhaps you'll both birdie the same. You just never know who will ham and egg it up best.

Last year's post round dinner at local Italian restaurant, Joe Rombi's La Piccola casa, was a big hit and a good suggestion for a return visit.

Paul Powers

Postby Paul Powers » Wed May 04, 2016

Have you guys ever considered transforming this into an annual two day event? Maybe combine with a day at Del Monte or other Monterey course?

Steve H

Postby Steve H » Wed May 04, 2016

Hi Paul.
This is a good question and yes, things could change if the group were to grow.

From our experience and member feedback, two day events seem to hinder local turnout (Greater SFran/Bay Area residents). Not everyone wants to commit to a "golf vacation" just to play a course that is within a 2 hour drive. Many want to get back home. Driving back and forth two days in a row can be taxing. :(

We could create fewer and bigger events or we can keep things smaller with lots of options. Smaller with lots of options seems to be working well. Our calendar has an event happening about once a month from April - Nov.

With the addition of the Oakland City Championship (this seems pretty much sealed as an annual event on our calendar based on feedback from our players), we now have two 36 hole Championships; Oakland City in May and San Francisco in October.

Last year several of us played at Pacific Grove following our Monterey Hickory Classic at Del Monte. This was an informal outing (not on our results page) and I believe we had 3 groups. This seems to work out well for those that want to play additional golf.

June is hit-and-miss with the weather in PGrove and it can be downright miserable out there. Spring and Fall are the best months and if we were to morph to a 2 day event, I would suggest piggybacking it onto our already existing Del Monte event in September.

... and are you going to be attending this event? Hope you can make it. Will be a lot of fun.

Sasha_B

Postby Sasha_B » Sat May 07, 2016

Hi Steve. I signed up for the newsletter and would like to attend the party and hopefully drag a girlfriend down too. I have a niblick, mashie and putter, but that's it. Maybe my friend and I can be paired together and share clubs? Do you have extra for us?

~S

Steve H

Postby Steve H » Mon May 09, 2016

Not a problem Sasha. We have plenty of clubs for both you and friend. Hope you can make it and look forward to meeting you.

Sasha_B

Postby Sasha_B » Fri May 20, 2016

Steve, I'm sorry we won't be able to make Sat June 4th. The Alister MacKenzie Save-Sharp-Park fundraiser is the same day.

Steve H

Postby Steve H » Mon May 23, 2016

Sasha,
Will try to do a better job coordinating dates next year. Have fun.

The first post has been updated with players and tee times. Tim, Stacy and Michael have volunteered to handle scoring, the scoreboard, and the pairing of teams, so they are first out.

12:00 - Group 1
Tim England - 14
Stacy Brown - 23 + 3 = *26
Michael Scott - 15
Steve Youngdale - 30

12:10 - Group 2
Dana Niehaus - 12
Henry Kolte - 19
John Sweeney - 18
Steve Viskochil - 14

12:20 - Group 3
Willy Schlick - 9
Susan Schlick -
Bob Wolfensperger - 19
Jim Thompson - 21

12:30 - Group 4
Orion Galioni - 5
Tim Bell - 14
Erik Beer - 8
Steve Henneuse - 5

* Women gain an additional 3 strokes as per play from different tees:
Red 70.2 - White 67.0 = 3.2

Steve H

Postby Steve H » Mon Jun 06, 2016

Updated 1st post with skins results and uploaded the usual electronic scorecards to the results page.

Thanks to the Pacific Grove staff for another great day of golf.
Was a fun day on the WINDY links! :)
We'll do it again next year.

Return to “NorCal Hickory Events”